When what you drink is as important as what you eat, you’ll want to hit up these five beer-centric spots:
1. Chicago’s anticipated Brit-Indian tavern Pub Royale opened in May in the former home of beloved craft beer spot Small Bar. Taps are varied and intrigu- ing, recently ranging from a smoked lager to a Spanish cidre to a barrel-aged mead.
2. Ale Mary’s beer hall was a welcome addition to Detroit’s beer-centric food scene when it debuted last summer; with the recent addition of weekend brunch, housemade sausage and an Evil Twin draft arrive even earlier.
3. A companion to next-door Dumpling Inn, San Diego’s Shanghai Saloon serves an edited menu of that restaurant’s small-plates Asian fare, as well as a lineup of drafts that could include standouts like Alpine Duet or Almanac Saison Delores.
4. Outdoor seating debuted in May at the new Victory at Magnolia brewpub in Philly’s Kennett Square; we imagine drinking the summer-perfect Kirsch Gose under some rays.
5. Tear your attention from the wood-fired pizzas and small plates at Charlestown, Mass., newbie Brewer’s Fork to contemplate the well-chosen seasonal drafts, including barrel-aged offerings and small-batch ciders. Look for rare offerings from locals including Trillium, Jack’s Abby and even rising star OEC Brewing.