Home Beer Giving up the growler

Giving up the growler

A growing number of brewers and retailers are realizing that growlers are a terrible way to serve beer. Maybe you should, too.
, / 37

Growlers

This is my growler collection. Impressive, isn’t it? Such a varied array of ceramic, metal and glass, gathered through giveaways, birthday gifts and visits to breweries across the country. It’s been years in the making.

And today, it’s going in the trash.

It’s not that growlers are a terrible way to package and drink beer (though they are, and we’ll get to that). I’m giving up on growlers because, more and more, I don’t need them. Brewers are beginning to realize that there are better ways of getting beer to me.

Take Night Shift Brewing in Everett, Massachusetts. The brewery has been steadily working to slow its growler sales over the past year by shifting more of its offerings into cans and offering refunds on the $5 deposit customers drop to purchase the glass jugs. In December, an email newsletter sent to fans decreed that growlers were officially dead.

“As we’ve grown, our capacity to can and bottle our beer has greatly increased,” the newsletter said. “Growlers are convenient, but our QA team’s tests confirmed that cans and bottles preserve freshness best. In our endless quest to serve a world class product, we decided to focus on the best take-home formats.”

It was a bold move. Night Shift had been selling growlers since the day the brewery opened, and their sales had been a major contributor to the brewery’s early success, says Night Shift brewer and co-founder Rob Burns. But, he says, the containers presented just as many issues. Bartenders were spending inordinate amounts of time cleaning and filling them—and pouring kegs’ worth of beer down the drain while doing so. Customers would often bring in growlers with chips in the glass, improper seals or other imperfections that led the beer inside to go flat before they even made it back home. And many of the people who purchased growlers seemed to misunderstand their purpose entirely: Burns says he would often see negative ratings pop up online for growlers sold months earlier.

“We just felt growlers hurt our beer and hurt the experience of the customer,” he says.

Most drinkers didn’t seem to mind too much: Night Shift has seen about 20 or 30 growlers returned each week since sending out the newsletter, and sales of to-go beer haven’t dropped much. Still, Burns says, the reaction to nixing growlers has been mixed.

“I think a lot of people who are into growlers have this perception that growlers are the freshest beer possible,” Burns says. “They were wary of getting beers in cans because they thought the growlered stuff was fresher. We were totally unprepared for that response. It didn’t even cross our mind that they thought growlered beer was better.”

Over in Illinois, debate has recently raged over whether beer retailers should be legally allowed to sell and fill growlers (current law says only breweries have this privilege). The misconceptions surrounding growlers are a major reason that Chris Quinn, owner of beloved Chicago bottle shop The Beer Temple, has actually argued against growlers in stores.

“A growler is just a big glass, essentially, and I don’t think drinkers know that,” Quinn says. “Brewers can put a tag on the glass saying ‘drink within 48 hours’ and so on, which I think is good, but I think that people still consider growlers to be as good as bottles—and maybe even better, since they got them right from the source. But if you think there’s no difference, open up five bottles or cans of a beer, put them in your fridge, and just drink through them one by one. That’s essentially what you’re doing with a growler. Is that fifth beer going to be as good as the first, even if it’s kept in a fridge?”

Breweries spend thousands—sometimes millions—of dollars on their packaging lines in an attempt to keep oxygen levels low and keep their beers as fresh as possible for as long as possible, Quinn says. For bar and bottle shop owners to essentially pour from a tap into a big glass, screw on a cap and call it good is counterintuitive to what brewers are trying to accomplish.

Quinn recalls a discussion he had on the topic with Lagunitas Brewing Co. owner Tony Magee: “He said, ‘I don’t like growlers. We spent $2 million on our bottling line and it cost that much for a reason.’ Well, yeah, but you sell growlers out of your taproom. He said, ‘That’s true, but I look at it more as a keepsake, a memento for someone’s visit, rather than a viable way for me to sell my beer.’”

Meanwhile, some new breweries are opening without even considering growlers as a packaging option. Sean Buchan, owner and head brewer at Cerebral Brewing in Denver, Colorado, says he was initially against them due to the amount of oxygen that hits the beer when growlers are filled. Plus:

“They pile up at your house,” Buchan says. “Whenever I would go to a bar, I’d always forget to bring one, so I’d end up buying another, and you don’t really want to throw any of them away or recycle them because you paid $5 or $10 for the growler itself.” [With this point I wholeheartedly concur, as I never set out to build my collection of growlers; it was mostly amassed through forgetfulness. Each of the growlers in that photo has been used precisely once.]

“We also didn’t want to make our staff wash people’s growlers,” Buchan says. “That’s not a good use of their time, especially on a busy night. And we also didn’t want a growler going out that someone opens at a party and the beer ends up sucking because it wasn’t properly cleaned or filled.”

Cerebral doesn’t sell growlers and won’t fill those brought in by customers. (“The people who tend to get the most upset are the ones who spent a lot of money on their growlers or have a custom one,” Buchan says.) Instead, the young brewery invested in a Crowler machine, the modified soup canner used for bartop beer canning developed by fellow Colorado brewery Oskar Blues. Oskar Blues has sold nearly 1,000 of the devices—and more than a million 32-ounce cans—since 2014.

Even large companies seem to sense the growler’s reign is ending. The Kroger grocery chain, for instance, is testing Crowlers at one of its locations in Memphis, Tennessee.

All of which has led me to decide to dump my growler collection. A growler isn’t a bottle; it’s a glorified pint glass, and while Crowlers aren’t perfect, they’re a far better option. Here’s the best option, though: going to a brewery and enjoying a pint or two, in the place the beer was made, exactly as the brewer intended. If the beer’s really that damn good, you can always come back tomorrow.

• Steve says:

Not always able to go back tomorrow. Also, what if its a seasonal or specialty beer is only offered at the brewery and not bottled/canned? I’m not against doing away with them if it makes business sense, but I do think they are good in certain situations.

• Steven says:

Here in Georgia, the breweries don’t do growlers as they are not allowed to sell directly to consumers, at least not in the conventional sense (You buy a tour package that include X amount of beer to take home.). A few breweries here invested in crowlers, but most just do bottles and cans for the “souvenir” take home beer. We’ve had stores that do growlers for about 6 year now, but that market seems to be bottoming out, as many of these stores have shuttered in the last few years (mainly because there were so many of them in some areas). Total Wine in their two locations in the Atlanta area in which they only sell beer and wine (Thanks to another state law that limits the number of liquor stores a company/individual can own.) have growler bars (The law doesn’t allow liquor stores to sell growlers, so in some cases, some liquor stores opened up a separate growler shop next door to their store.). I used to get growlers on a regular basis when I worked close to a growler shop and would usually get a few of them for the weekend.

• William Christensen says:

I will gladly accept your Growler Donations.

• Liz says:

I know local laws differ, but here in Indianapolis, growlers are necessary because some breweries don’t offer any other carry-out options. And it’s hard to beat the price of a filled growler ($6 specials run all the time here) compared to beer in cans or bottles. If a growler is cleaned and filled properly, and consumed quickly, I think they still have their place in the beer world.

• Tristan says:

Agreed. And growler sales have been a boon to Indiana’s brewing industry, because the state doesn’t allow Sunday carryout of beer from anywhere else besides breweries and Tomlinson Tap Room ( beer bar in the Indy City Market that features IN beer exclusively).

In fact, I’d venture to say that without growler sales, IN’s brewing scene wouldn’t be growing as fast as it has. In Sun King’s first few years, I saw a LOT of people come in for $5 Friday fills who weren’t the typical craft consumer at the time.

• Growlers are fine. Not every brewer is ready for a bottling/canning line or investment in a crowler set up. Most aren’t. If you like a beer from your neighborhood brewery and want to take more home for later, a growler fits the role perfectly.

I do agree that people need to be educated if they want to go this route. Clean vessels, drink soon after opening, etc.

• Brian Reilly says:

Why arent crowlers great?

• Andrew says:

I will take that cannonball if you want rid of it!

• Sue says:

What about pressurized growlers like this – http://www.growlerwerks.com/ ? Still waiting for my Kickstarter package but I was hoping that growlers would be around for a while. Fingers crossed that my local breweries keep it an option long enough to get some good use out of it (whenever that may be…)

• Devin says:

I just got mine last week. I’ve been patiently waiting for 2 years for my 128oz copper plated ukeg and I can’t wait to give it a go. Reading this kinda lets a little of the wind outta my sails…hopefully I’ll get a few uses out of it before it becomes shelf art. Keep the faith, they’re finally paying what they owe us

• I have collected a variety of stainless growlers and the Ukeg is awesome tap beer unpasteurized in your fridge co2 charged i have two 128oz ukegs and a 64oz, My nickname is the Howler for that 128 size no trademark required. Lets not forget that growler filling has been going on for a very long time. its the cheapest greenest way to go. It allows small brewers to let you take it home. Ukegs are pricey compared to a glass jug, but so is the 4000. $ plus all the extras for the Crowler , so you get to pay a dollar for the Crowler package every fill. Pay now or later. I find Oskar Blues the priciest beer on the shelve in a can – I can get a nitro can (Boddingtons) all the way from England for a 1.75 ? People think if you pay more you get more . not necessarily so, check the yuengling story for that. When a brewer says hes not filling growlers anymore then they are no longer a small brewer in my book. They then need to justify the expense they have made in canning equipment. I still love my Lionshead and Yuengling (PA) , and they cannot be beat on price and quality in a can.

• Jesse says:

I compare this to how coffee shops give me my coffee: they’ll put it any sort of sealing cup I bring them and I’m the one paying for it and will drink it the way I want.

Feels a growing number of NC breweries are shying away from growlers, wish they’d let me decide the vessel for the beer if I’m driving to their location and paying $14-$22 for five beers.

If things get much more pretentious at breweries, I’ll just keep making more beer at home…just like my coffee.

• Josh says:

I understand the pain of cleaning growlers at the tap room…..but this article is full of so much Bologna. To say they are “dead” is such an ignorant statement. I brew my own beer (105 gallons in 2016 which is good for me considering I brew 5 gal batches) and have been kegging it for years. Growlers are by far a necessity when I take my beer to get togethers with friends. In fact just got my 1 gallon juggernaut by drink tanks with tap accessory kit and love bringing growlers places even more! Growlers used appropriately will never die. Just know and plan to drink it within hours of opening. It’s that simple.

• Steve Body says:

One of the reasons that I drifted away from a lucrative career as a wine buyer and writer and started writing about beer and liquor was that wine had become so infected with trendy obsessions and little mini-controversies. Now, it’s happening to beer. It’s inevitable, as younger wine weenies drift over to the more economical fetish objects available to beer lovers. After all, you can go out to your local supermarket and buy beers that have earned a 100 Point score from RateBeer or BeerAdvocate for less than $15 but you might very well go DECADES and never even get close to tasting a 100 Point wine. But they brought their fetish crap with them. Here’s another: Crowlers as just SO vastly superior to growlers. Last year, it was that nobody who is anybody is using a Shaker pint glass, anymore. Before that, you MUST have the “proper” beer glass. Before that, Born-On dating. And so it goes. FACT: I have been sent six different thermal growlers to review; pretty much every one being manufactured in the US today. What I found was that most people NEVER own a really GOOD growler. After MUCH research, I found that one of those seven actually kept beer fresh, effervescent, cold, and unoxidized for as much as SEVEN DAYS if unopened and retained the bubbles even after several pours, as long as I was diligent about recapping after pouring and stored it in the fridge. I’m not naming this company because this is not a commercial but this growler does EXACTLY what it is advertised to do and then some. Crowlers are great, especially if you want to carry them across country, packed in your luggage or if you want to store the beer for a LIMITED time. But, for most of us, filling a growler is something we do when we want to get beer home and finish it with a day or two. Crowlers don’t keep beer cold and I’ve seen two Crowlers EXPLODE when they’ve impacted something. A good, well-made steel growler isn’t going to leak or explode or overheat. This post is just more of that trendy BS that’s whipped up bored people who require some sort of drama in their lives. “Give Up Your Growlers!”, the headline screams. Why? Because it all the rage, now? Because some brewery owners – who are, in general, just as prone to trendiness and misunderstanding as any other normal person – decided that their beer isn’t properly showcased by using one? Here’s the deal: these two vessels do different things. They are BOTH quite useful, IF you use good ones. Badly made Crowlers are no better an idea than badly-made growlers. It’s not possible to use both, each according to its proper useage? Stuff like this just gives me a headache, anymore. One basic principle that would have helped here: MYOB. NEVER a bad idea…

• Wade Owens says:

Interesting article with some convincing points made in arguing to retire the growler as we know it.

That being said, I think growlers (as a niche product) add to the overall fun and experience of going to a brewery/brewpub. Provided the growler is clean and packaged properly, has an oxygen resistant lid and is consumed within several days of packaging, I think it can taste every bit as good as the same beer being packaged in a more oxygen resistant vessel. The Moose’s Tooth Pizzeria and Brewpub in Anchorage, Alaska requires that all growlers be cleaned (by the customer) or else they will refuse to serve it.

I have a decent collection of growlers that needs to be downsized, but I’ll keep at least a few around as long as there are breweries & brewpubs willing to fill them.

• OldSchool says:

Thanks for the shout out to Moose’s Tooth! It was one of the highlights of our trip to Alaska two years ago.

Good points, both in the article and these comments. I have personally had mixed results with growlers. My biggest complaint are the people who bring in 3 growlers at a time and then monopolize the bartender’s time by sampling 6 different beers while they decide what to get.

• Wade Owens says:

No problem, I had to give a shout out to one of my favorite brewpubs (and the place that introduced me to growlers back in 2005 when I had never even heard the term before). :-)

And yeah, I definitely agree that one of the drawbacks of having a growler service is that it does tend to create bottlenecks in the wait line especially during peak times. Nothing like waiting to get a pint and the person in front of you pulls out 3 growlers.

• Ryan says:

There are a lot more things I agree with in this, than I disagree. As someone who has worked in the beer industry for years on almost all sides of the fence, I’d be happy if growlers weren’t the only option. That is for damn sure.

The waste, oh my god, the waste. It’s almost laughable at how outraged people will be about a brewery running out of a limited release beer, especially one that was being poured into growlers. Those regular glass growlers with the tiny openings for the cap are waste machines, I’ve probably had 50% runoff/spillage into those style growlers over the life of my bartending days. You’re mad we ran out and you brought one of the leading causes of wasted product in to store it in your fridge for a month and then wonder why it isn’t as good as that pint you had at the pub. Notably the large mouth, stainless steel growlers are much better about this, it’s science, larger openings don’t create as much foam/head/spillage. Crowlers win here in a landslide.

The collection issue, I literally have 20 growlers from one local brewery because we would never bring ours back. I can’t even give them away at this point. It’s ridiculous.

Cleanliness is a huge issue. Working for a small local brewery who is wildly popular meant spending a LOT of time cleaning growlers. Mostly because we had to have a cleaning policy. Here’s a tip, look under the cap, I’d open an “empty growler” to find black mold inside the caps all the time. So here’s a free cap (free to the customer at least) and now I’m going to spend 5 minutes soaking your growler in sanitizer because I don’t want you to take dirty beer home. No tip on that growler? Thanks, you’re welcome, enjoy the beer. (Another service industry issue that I’m glad wasn’t mentioned)

In the end I think that growlers have a place in the beer world, but I hope they lessen over time. I really enjoy crowlers for several reasons, mostly the recycling standpoint and the serving size. 32oz is just fine for most people, even at a bottle share a crowler can serve just as good. Once the cost and size of the machine goes down I hope more breweries and pubs will get into the business of crowlers. Until then, I’m done with growlers too. Maybe I’ll make an art project out of the 40 odd growlers I still have at home. Ugh.

• Brian says:

All of my growlers were planned purchases. I buy growlers for the display factor as much as the filling factor. I currently have 10 I believe, and all were planned. It really isn’t that hard to think to bring a growler if I know I might want beer to go. And the bottle shop I frequent uses a PEGAS system, so growlers are good 1-2 months after being filled. Growlers serve a purpose if done correctlt.

• Scott says:

No one has mentioned one of my main reasons for using growlers, which is environmental favorability. A reusable container takes less energy and consumes fewer resources than a recycled one and is far better than one that ends up in the trash. Where I live the deposit on growlers is generally only $1.50 to $2.00, which isn’t burdensome but does encourage one to return them (and pretty much every liquor store and grocery store with a beer/wine license accepts them for redemption).

I suppose my palate may not be sufficiently refined, but I don’t find that the beer I get in growlers goes flat or loses its flavor too quickly. I often go through one over the course of a week and the last glass is still good. Sometimes there’s a little sediment, but that’s no big deal.

• Tristan says:

Agreed. Until I started working in the industry, I visited my local brewery, Fountain Square Brewing Co., every Sunday for $5 growler fills, usually walking out with at least two. Over the course of a year or more, that adds up to a lot of bottles–which I would have recycled, but a lot of others wouldn’t have.

• Mike says:

GrowlerKeg is the way of the future.

• Todd says:

It’s funny to me that the dude writing the article here has filled a growler (only?) exactly 8 times. 8 growlers pictured, 1 fill each. Whatever valid points may be made here (I’m especially appreciative of the waste factor in filling), deployment of choice quotes (Tony Magee), and solid Night Shift lead-in, it’s rather unusual to take such a strong position with that level of growler-filling experience. A great majority of those reading this article are likely to have exceeded Mr. Fowle’s personal experience with growler fills by an order of magnitude.
    I like crowlers just fine (though I’ve definitely had quality issues with at least one of those as well). And I may be idiosyncratic, but I think a good number of potential oxidation woes are overstated: I prefer some growlered beer from my local brewery after a week in the fridge. (And they don’t offer full pours–only 4 oz samples and growlers to go. So I can’t settle in with a few pints as advised.) And I’ve had a few beers that I enjoyed even more when I reopened a growler 48 hours later…. To each his own.

• Zach Fowle says:

That group of growlers is actually just what our photo editor would allow me to fit in the picture. The actual collection includes about a dozen more 32- and 64-ounce brown glass growlers.

Where do you live? Is the sample/growler thing just an odd brewery policy, or something they’re forced to do by liquor laws?

• Todd says:

Aha–the photo is a representative selection. I was misled by the intro:
        “This is my growler collection. Impressive, isn’t it? Such a varied array of ceramic, metal and glass….It’s been years in the making.”
        My local brewery is New England Brewing Co. in Woodbridge, CT. Other breweries in the area do offer full pours along with growler fills so I can’t imagine that they have insurmountable legal reasons for only offering samples (4 – 4oz samples is the stated policy)–though it’s possible that they’d need to get some different permitting from what they have if they were also to offer larger pours.
        I take it that that they’re doing what works for them. The tasting room is place to have a few samples in order to see what you might like to take home in a growler (with non-growlerable firkin pours on Fridays). There’s sometimes a food truck on Saturdays or other days when there is a big beer release, but it’s not designed to be a multi-hour hangout.
        They send a lot of beer out to bars and send (typically) 3 beers out to distro in cans (all of which they’ve been doing since before they had regular tasting room/growler filling hours).
        One of those canned beers (G-bot) flies out of package stores and/or gets sold for $20/4 pack of 12 oz cans. I love that I can go the brewery and fill a 2L growler for $16 at least a few weeks a month.
        The growler fill is a pretty ideal option for when I don’t want to drop $7-8 and 30 minutes for a 12 oz pour at a bar or hunt for price-gouged cans. I can just swing by the brewery and fill a growler (lower ABV beers are $12 for the same volume. Pretty hard to beat)…
        Would a crowlering operation be better? Maybe. My basement shelf is a little overfull of empty glass at the moment, but growlers are still working pretty well for me.

• Bob Murray says:

I bought a uKeg pressurized growler that works great, keeping beer fresh glass after glass for weeks. You can have my 10 other glass growlers ;-)

• Opinionated brewer says:

A few things worth noting- as the Cerebral Brewer seems to not quite understand “oxidation.”
    How are you all filling your Crowlers? Seems they are filled from a tap into a big ol’ open top container? One that is not reusable. Is this better for the beer? Does it somehow introduce less oxygen?

• Ben says:

Let’s call it, on an ounce by ounce basis, growlers are not as economically favorable as ounces sold in cans/bottles. Especially when you consider the volume lost during fills.

• Jeff says:

This does not surprise me. REASON , u can’t use someone else’s growler to fill up at different places. Which I think is crap. I buy from 3 local breweries and have three separate growers and that’s not even counting the 4 others I have around the world. Gets to be a waist if u ask me . I stopped buying growers because they were getting to look like fungus growing around my house.

• Geoffrey Harm says:

Please don’t put growlers in the trash. RECYCLE!

• Dennis Walsak says:

Such drama…

In 2011 Andrew Knowlton wrote an article for “Bon Appétit”, an interview with Garrett Oliver, brewmaster at the Brooklyn Brewery and editor-in-chief of the Oxford Companion to Beer, that, in a lot of respects, is similar to this. (See it here: http://www.bonappetit.com/columns/the-foodist/article/why-beer-growlers-are-bad-for-your-brew )

He begins with “The last time I hung out with Garrett Oliver… the touchy subject of growlers came up. In short, he thinks they suck.“ Well, this stirred up a lot of controversy (…and got A LOT OF READERSHIP for Bon Appétit) but didn’t really change many people’s minds about growlers. It wasn’t the end of growlers in favor of cans, no matter what size you want to put your craft beer in. Ultimately we learned that Oliver had just installed a canning line… so, naturally, he was dissing every other method of retailing craft beer. Bon Appétit later came clean with a more objective followup, see: http://www.bonappetit.com/columns/the-foodist/article/the-full-story-on-growlers-spoiler

What strikes me as odd about this Draft Magazine article is it seems to be missing the point of a growler in the first place. To sell beer. From the draft tap. Why promote the elimination of a method that has been working for hundreds of years? Why not promote ALL methods in the magazine about draft beer? Has the divisive nature of contemporary American society now come down to bottles and cans?

Sean Wilson, of Fullsteam Brewery, put it perfectly in the Bon Appétit follow up: “They’re a great way for a young brewery to get their beer out into the marketplace without the large upfront cash investment of an elaborate packaging line.”

And growlers are green. Peace.

• TJ says:

One thing not mentioned is if filled properly it makes a big difference. Besides rinsing and sanitizing you need to purge the growler with CO2 first. CO2 is heavier then oxygen and pushes the oxygen out of the growler. Then always fill from the bottom using a filler tube. The beer fills the growler pushing the CO2 out and only coming in contact with the tube, glass and CO2, never oxygen (technically). Cap it and seal if required.

About the waste….yeah filling growlers wastes a lot of beer. That might be ok for the breweries but on the retail end it amounts to a lot of money literally going down the drain. We stopped filling the dreaded flip top 32s due to this and just plain being a pain in the arse to fill and top off.

For my store it was a small percentage of the business and profit but a larger amount of the labor and time. The way I justified filling growlers was to only tap non-package beer and mostly local stuff where possible. It kept the growler crowd coming back and when we had a special release it increased the growler bottle sales which have a decent profit.

• Jon says:

One of the dumbest articles I have read about the industry in awhile. Basically, buy other peoples beer for your party it says. You can use any ones growler in MI , so some of the problems don’t exist here I suppose. Plus, I don’t want to drink and drive … so yeah.

• GFunk says:

I feel like this article is based on a regional or geographic generalization that everybody everywhere is in the exact same situation. Take Boise for example – the beer scene in this town is thriving and the amount of places to fill the growler of your choice is vast. In that market, they’ve created a culture that makes a growler/crowler a go-to vessel for transport of your favorite brew. Other cities may cater to different methods of toting your brew home. Seattle, for example, has many sought after breweries that are taking part in scheduled releases that are only available in can or bottle form, or on draught at the tasting room. Occasionally, these places may offer growler fills, but it’s not usually the beers that you’re waiting on line for at a release. Just my two cents…carry-on!

• There’s is a big difference in a Growler and it’s quality when filled using a counter pressure filler. If your not using a counter pressure filler with a growler or a crowler then your the product will won’t be the same as in the keg. A counter pressure filler purges the Growler and equalizes the pressure between the keg and Growler so there is very little foam or waste. It also doesn’t reduce the CO2 saturation or expose the Beer to oxygen. A growler filled with a counter pressure filler can last for weeks/months not days.

Check out our video: https://youtu.be/Ak0oousLOac

It explains the difference between old fashioned filling and counter pressure filling.

• JM says:

I’d certainly buy Crowlers from time to time. But, at 32 ounces, it’s a bit large to take home and drink if you just want a pint. I like my growlers for that option…I can enjoy a growler of beer over a couple of days and typically that last glass is as good as the first. I think that breweries would be smart to invest in the crowler though to give options.

• Matt says:

Seems growlers are only bad for those who are uneducated in their purpose. It’s not a hard concept, fill, drink, wash, repeat. And for the record, growler beer tastes better than canned or bottled beer.