A sweet, mild lager adds a yeasty lift and marvelous flavor to these luscious waffles. Serve them with a simple-but-sublime rosemary- and vanilla-infused maple syrup, and thereâ€™ll be no waffling in your loveâ€™s affections.
Makes: 4 wafflesIngredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup Yuengling Traditional Lager
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- Rosemary-vanilla syrup:
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 sprig (about 3 inches) fresh
• Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, lager, milk, oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined, taking care not to overmix. Let the batter sit 30 minutes.
• While the batter rests, combine the syrup, remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and rosemary in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer, then keep warm over low heat.
• Preheat a waffle iron. Spoon between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of the batter onto the grid (no need to oil it first; the oil in the batter is sufficient). Spread with a rubber spatula, cover and cook according to the manufacturer’s directions until golden and crisp. Repeat with remaining batter, and serve immediately with the warm syrup.
• For crispy waffles, place cooked waffles directly on the bottom rack of a preheated 400-degree oven for 2 to 3 minutes.