The familiar combination of beer and lime lends this easy soup intense brightness and kitchen-filling fragrance. If youâre sensitive to spice, exchange the cayenne for chili powder; if you like to feel the heat, turn the curry and cayenne up a notch.
- 1 12-ounce bottle pilsner
- 1 small red onion, peeled, roughly chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 28-ounce cans whole plum tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 lime
- 1 tablespoon hot curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lime juice
- plain yogurt (optional)
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the beer, onion, garlic, sweet potato, tomatoes and lime half. Bring to a simmer and let cook 20 minutes.
2. Remove and discard the lime half. Add the curry powder, cayenne, salt and lime juice, then purée with an immersion blender or in a stand blender. Serve immediately with a dollop of plain yogurt, or refrigerate up to 3 days.
PAIR IT WITH: a pilsner if you're taking it easy, a grassy IPA to take it up a notch.