A half-hour south of San Francisco, Half Moon Bay Brewing overlooks Pillar Point Harbor, right next to the Mavericks surf break that‚Äôs famous among big-wave surfers. In the kitchen, Chef Gaston Alfaro channels his oceanic environs, pairing and steaming sustainable seafood with the brewery‚Äôs pints. Here, he poaches scallops, prawns and calamari with pumpkin and hefeweizen sweetness; pair it with a bottle of Mavericks Princeton-by-the-Sea IPA.
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups Mavericks Sandy Beach Blonde Hefeweizen
- ¬ľ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup pumpkin syrup (such as Torani)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- ¬ľ pound calamari, rings and tentacles coarsely chopped
- ¬ľ pound bay scallops
- ¬ľ pound baby prawns
- ¬ľ cup shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 pound red and green cabbage, shredded
- ¬ľ cup julienned red onion
- 8 cups shredded hearts of Romaine lettuce tomato and cucumber slices for garnish
• Combine the water, hefeweizen, vinegar, syrup, red pepper, garlic, oregano, salt and
pepper in a large pot over medium-high heat;
let simmer 15 minutes.
• Add each seafood to the pot separately to lightly poach: Add the calamari first; let poach
3 minutes, then remove from the pot and let cool. Poach the prawns 6 minutes; remove and let cool. Poach the scallops 3 minutes; remove and let cool.
• Bring the poaching liquid to a boil, then remove the pot from heat. Add the carrots,
cabbage and onions and let sit 10 minutes; strain from the liquid and let cool. Combine
the seafood and the vegetable mixture together in a large bowl, keeping the mixture moist with
a spoonful of the poaching liquid.
• Toss the lettuce with Honey-Lime Vinaigrette. Add the seafood mixture and lightly drizzle with more vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with tomato and cucumber slices.