Recipe by Gaston Alfaro
A half-hour south of San Francisco, Half Moon Bay Brewing overlooks Pillar Point Harbor, right next to the Mavericks surf break thatâ€™s famous among big-wave surfers. In the kitchen, Chef Gaston Alfaro channels his oceanic environs, pairing and steaming sustainable seafood with the breweryâ€™s pints. Here, he poaches scallops, prawns and calamari with pumpkin and hefeweizen sweetness; pair it with a bottle of Mavericks Princeton-by-the-Sea IPA.
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups Mavericks Sandy Beach Blonde Hefeweizen
- Â¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup pumpkin syrup (such as Torani)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Â¼ pound calamari, rings and tentacles coarsely chopped
- Â¼ pound bay scallops
- Â¼ pound baby prawns
- Â¼ cup shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 pound red and green cabbage, shredded
- Â¼ cup julienned red onion
- 8 cups shredded hearts of Romaine lettuce tomato and cucumber slices for garnish
• Combine the water, hefeweizen, vinegar, syrup, red pepper, garlic, oregano, salt and
pepper in a large pot over medium-high heat;
let simmer 15 minutes.
• Add each seafood to the pot separately to lightly poach: Add the calamari first; let poach
3 minutes, then remove from the pot and let cool. Poach the prawns 6 minutes; remove and let cool. Poach the scallops 3 minutes; remove and let cool.
• Bring the poaching liquid to a boil, then remove the pot from heat. Add the carrots,
cabbage and onions and let sit 10 minutes; strain from the liquid and let cool. Combine
the seafood and the vegetable mixture together in a large bowl, keeping the mixture moist with
a spoonful of the poaching liquid.
• Toss the lettuce with Honey-Lime Vinaigrette. Add the seafood mixture and lightly drizzle with more vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with tomato and cucumber slices.