An IPAâ€™s megahops nicely foil the heavy oil flavors you get from frying sweet cornmeal for show-stealing hush puppies every time.
- 2 bottles IPA
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 yellow onions, minced
- 12 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch green onions, minced
- 3 jalapeÃ±o peppers, minced
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 4 cups canola oil
• In a large mixing bowl, combine the beer, eggs, molasses and salt; slowly whisk to combine. Whisk in the minced onion, garlic, green onions and peppers.
• Slowly add the flour and cornmeal; whisk together until the batter is well-combined. The batter should be thick and sticky, but not dry; adjust by adding more beer or cornmeal, if necessary.
• Let the batter cool 1 hour in the refrigerator. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a Dutch oven to 350 degrees.
• Using two large soup spoons, dip one spoon into the batter, and use the second to scrape the hush puppy into the hot oil. (Drop the hush puppies directly over the oil to avoid splashing.) Fry until dark golden brown, turning once, about 5 to 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the hush puppies from the oil onto newsprint or paper towels to dry, and serve warm.