Baked beer-cheese dip with a simple fresh salsa on top is easy entertainment at its most delicious. Just add tortilla chips!
Makes: 2 to 4 servingsIngredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup diced white onion
- 1 red jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup lager beer
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a small (8-inch) cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers and tomatoes and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin, and season with salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute more, being careful not to burn the garlic. Remove the salsa to a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, toss the cheese with the flour. Add the beer to the skillet and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits. Add the cheese to the beer and stir; the cheese should melt quickly. Stir until smooth.
4. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and just starting to crisp around the edges.
5. Top the baked cheese with the salsa and serve immediately with tortilla chips.