Lager Queso Dip
[Photo: Nick Evans]
Recipe by Nick Evans
Baked cheese dip with a simple fresh salsa on top is the perfect appetizer for any occasion. Beer inside makes it extra-special.
Serves: 2 to 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup diced white onion
- 1 red jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup lager beer
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
• In a small (8-inch) cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers and tomatoes and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin, and season with salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute more, being careful not to burn the garlic. Remove the salsa to a small bowl and set aside.
• In a small bowl, toss the cheese with the flour. Add the beer to the skillet and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits. Add the cheese to the beer and stir; the cheese should melt quickly. Stir until smooth.
• Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and just starting
to crisp around the edges.
• Top the baked cheese with the salsa and serve immediately with tortilla chips.