Dave Lieberman shares his beery recipe for chocolate-loaded, vanilla-frosted cupcakes.
Makes: Makes 24Ingredients:
- 1 12-ounce bottle Guinness stout
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa, plus more for garnish
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar
- 1 9-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Guinness, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the sour cream.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, and baking soda. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet Guinness mixture.
- Butter 24 muffin tins and divide the batter among the muffin tins.
- Bake 25 minutes, until risen and set in the middle, but still soft and tender. Cool before turning out of the tins.
- For frosting, beat the cream cheese in a bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the heavy cream. Slowly mix in the confectioners' sugar.
- Top each cupcake with a heap of frosting and dust with cocoa.