Makes: 8 sundaesIngredients:
- CHERRY SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup gueuze or other sour beer
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups pitted fresh cherries
- 1 quart vanilla bean ice cream or gelato
- 1 cup crushed chocolate wafer cookies or chocolate graham crackers
- whipped cream
- whole fresh cherries
1. MAKE THE SAUCE: In a large saucepan, whisk together the beer, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the cherries and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cold, up to 3 days.
3. ASSEMBLE THE SUNDAES: Scoop ice cream into 8 bowls. Top each with ¼ cup cherry sauce and 2 tablespoons cookie. Top with whipped cream and a cherry, if desired.
Pair it: A rich, chocolatey porter melds perfectly with vanilla ice cream.
Bonus tip: The cherry sauce will last for a few days in the fridge. Break it out for the next day’s meals: Drizzle it over breakfast favorites like pancakes and waffles, and at dinnertime, serve it with savory meats like duck and ham.