At Izakaya, a modern Japanese pub inside the Borgata Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, N.J., chef Michael Schulsonâs guests dine on inspired Japanese menu items like New Style Hamachi Sashimi and White Miso Lobster Broth. Here, he finds Europe with baby-back ribs marinated in German brew.
- Ribs and Marinade:
- 2 pounds baby-back ribs
- 8 cups Harpoon Munich Dark, divided
- 1 cup plus 1â2 cup oyster sauce
- 1â2 cup dark brown sugar
- Âœ plus 1â4 cup Hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup light brown sugar
• Combine 4 cups beer, ½ cup oyster sauce and ¼ cup hoisin sauce together and whisk thoroughly. Incorporate the sugar and spice powder, then add ribs. Refrigerate at least 24 hours.
• Drain the marinade from the ribs. In a stockpot, combine 1/2 gallon of water, 4 cups of beer and salt to taste, then immerse ribs. Simmer on medium heat until the meat begins to separate from the bone.
• Transfer the ribs into a baking pan. Make the glaze by combining the ketchup, 1 cup oyster sauce, ½ cup hoisin sauce and light brown sugar, and mixing well. Brush ribs with glaze and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, glazing three more times throughout. Serve.