UPDATE: This contest has ended. Winners will be notified on or before Apr. 14, 2011.
“How one beer changed my life”
Has a single pint changed your life? Did one bottle rock your world? Share your story in DRAFT’s first annual BeerMe Essay Contest! The winner will see their essay published in DRAFT, and receive a $100 Visa gift card. To enter, send your essay describing how one beer changed your life to email@example.com between Jan. 26, 2011 and Mar. 31, 2011. See below for guidelines and complete contest rules.
Essays should be typed and double-spaced (preferably in a Microsoft Word document) and should total 900 words or less. Entries exceeding 900 words will not be considered. Entries must include the author’s name, address, phone number and email address within the entry email and on the essay attachment. DRAFT will not consider anonymous entries, or works that have been previously published. Entries will not be returned.
Entries must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “2011 ESSAY CONTEST.” Your email submission will receive a return message verifying that your entry was received. Do not attach photos or supporting materials; judging will be based on creativity, language and use of theme only.
The contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, age 21 or older at the time of entry.
Complete Contest Rules
1. CONTEST PERIOD: This contest begins at 12:01 A.M. eastern time (ET) on Jan. 26, 2011, and ends at 11:59 P.M. ET on Mar. 26, 2011 (the “Contest Period”).
2. ELIGIBILITY: No purchase necessary to enter or win, and purchase does not increase odds of winning. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, age 21 or older at time of entry (“Entrant”). Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsor and its promotional partners and their respective parents, spouses, siblings, affiliates, and subsidiaries and participating advertising and promotion agencies (including members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same household of each such employee) are not eligible. Void where prohibited by law or internal company policy.
3. GENERAL CONDITIONS: Entry into this contest constitutes an entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to abide by and accept the terms and conditions of these Official rules. No substitution of prize or cash equivalent.
4. HOW TO ENTER: Submit your typed, double-spaced submission (900 words maximum, preferably in a Microsoft Word document) to email@example.com within the Contest Period. Limit one entry per person or e-mail account. Essays should be submitted in English. Handwritten essays or essays exceeding 900 words may not be considered. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, or incomplete entries, or entries not received for any reason. Entries will not be acknowledged or returned. By entering, Entrant warrants that his or her entry (1) represents a true, real-life story of the Entrant, (2) is the original work of the entrant, (3) does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, (4) has not been published in any medium.
5. WINNER SELECTION & NOTIFICATION: All entries will be judged by DRAFT Magazine editors using the following criteria: use of theme (30 percent), language (30 percent), creativity (40 percent). Incomplete and/or inaccurate entries and entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification.
Judges reserve the right to disqualify entrants for any reason. Decisions of judges are final and binding. Winner will be notified by telephone and/or e-mail after March 14, 2011. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, does not respond within seven (7) days from the date the Sponsor first tries to notify him/her, and/or the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the potential winner forfeits all rights to win the Contest or receive the prize, and an alternate potential winner may be selected. Upon contacting a potential winner and determining that he/she has met all eligibility requirements of the Contest, including without limitation the execution of required waivers, publicity and liability releases and disclaimers, such individual will be declared the “winner” of the Promotion. For the name(s) of winner(s), visit draftmag.com/essaycontest after March 14, 2011, where the name(s) of winner(s) will be available for a period of 30 days.
6. PRIZE DESCRIPTION: One (1) winner will receive a $100 Visa gift card and publication in a future issue of DRAFT Magazine. The prize is awarded without warranty, express or implied, of any kind. No prize or any portion thereof is transferable or redeemable for cash. Any portion of the prize that is not used is forfeited. No substitutions for prize except by Sponsor, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be substituted.
7. TAXES: All federal, state and/or local income and other taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the winner.
8. OWNERSHIP AND LICENSE: All entry materials become the property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. The copyright in any Submission shall remain the property of the entrant, but entry into this Contest constitutes entrant’s irrevocable and perpetual permission and consent, without further compensation, royalty or attribution, to edit, adapt, enhance, and modify, and to use, reproduce, print, publish, transmit, distribute, sell, perform, or display Entrant’s submitted essay, name and likeness for any purpose, including but not limited to editorial, advertising, trade, commercial, and publicity purposes by the Sponsor and/or others authorized by the Sponsor, in any and all media now in existence or hereinafter created, throughout the world, for the duration of the copyright in the Submission. By entering, Entrant represents that any essay and any other materials submitted as part of Entrant’s contest entry are original and will not constitute defamation or an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such essay. Potential Winner, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and, where legally permissible, a Publicity Release and confirmation of a license as set forth above within 7 days following the date of first attempted notification, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) entry does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) entry does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the essay and other materials submitted are original and have never been published and entry has never won an award. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate winner.
9. INTERNET DISCLAIMERS: Sponsor is not responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic-transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone-equipment, electronic, computer, hardware, or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process and to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the game is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the e-mail address. The “authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person to whom the e-mail address is assigned.
10. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate Sponsor to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. By entering and/or accepting prize, Entrants and Winners agree to hold and assign Sponsor and its promotional partners, directors, officers, and employees harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property, relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant ineligible. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any entrant or prize winner, if either commits or has committed any act or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which the Sponsor deems likely to subject the Sponsor, Entrant, or Winner to ridicule, scandal, or contempt or which reflects unfavorably upon the Sponsor in any way. If such information is discovered by Sponsor after a winner has received notice of his/her prize and before the prize is awarded, Sponsor may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, Sponsor may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled. Decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
11. GOVERNING LAW: This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, and is governed by the internal laws of the State of Arizona without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the State of Arizona, without recourse to class-action suits. Should there be a conflict between the laws of the State of Arizona and any other laws, the conflict will be resolved in favor of the laws of the State of Arizona. All judgments or awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket damages (excluding attorneys’ fees) associated with participation in this Contest and shall not include any indirect, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages.
12. SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
13. SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this Contest is DRAFT Magazine, 4742 N. 24th St., Suite 210, Phoenix, AZ 85006.