Fact: Oktoberfest isn’t just a drunkfest in Munich; it’s also a beer style. Here’s why you should be drinking these malty lagers now.
1. Because this is the only time of year you can drink out of a traditional liter-size stein (called a mass at the fest) and people won’t think you’re an alcoholic.
2. Because Oktoberfests (also known as Märzens) are being phased out at the annual Munich beer bash in favor of lighter helles lagers, and you’re a champion of historical conventions.
3. Because, right now, you need a break from palate-wrecking fresh-hop beers, and this style’s caramel sweetness and toasted bread notes are just what the doctor ordered.
4. Because while apprenticing in London, the style’s creator, Anton Dreher of Vienna, used to smuggle beer out of breweries inside a hollow walking stick, and that’s just awesome.
5. Because those rich malts and the style’s crisp lager finish are a perfect match for juicy German brats, and right now, you know you’re craving a juicy German brat.