Rob â€śThe Cotswold Chefâ€ť Rees makes one of the best puddings in Englandâ€™s Cotswolds. Pair this bread-and-butter pudding with a pint of English ale.
- 1 pint milk
- 3 ounces sugar
- 2 eggs plus 3 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean, split open
- 6 ounces raisins
- 8 slices fruit-filled or plain bread
- 3 ounces butter
- 1 orange, zested
- dash of vanilla vodka
- pinch grated nutmeg
• Soak the raisins in the vodka for an hour.
• Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Slice the bread, remove the crust, butter each slice, and cut into triangles. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, yolks and sugar.
• Add the vanilla pod, nutmeg, orange zest and milk to a pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Pour the hot seasoned milk into the egg mixture and whisk, working quickly so the eggs don’t scramble.
• Sprinkle the bottom of a baking dish with the raisins and neatly arrange the buttered bread on top. Strain the milk mixture over the bread and bake in a water bath, about 45 minutes.
• Once golden and firm, remove from oven and sprinkle with superfine sugar.