The "BBB" in these Southern collards stands for bacon, brown sugar and Budweiser; the ingenious concoction's on the menu at chef Felicia Suzanne Willett's eponymous Memphis eatery.
Makes: 6 to 8Ingredients:
- 1⁄2 pound bacon, chopped
- 2 cups yellow onions, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup Creole mustard
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 bottles Budweiser
- 2 cups collard greens, stemmed and sliced thin
- salt, to taste
- crushed red pepper, to taste
• Cook bacon until crispy in a medium stock pot. Remove bacon to the side, keeping the rendered fat in the pan.
• Add the onions, Creole mustard and brown sugar to the bacon fat, and add salt and crushed red pepper to taste. Cool until onions soften, about 2 minutes.
• Pour the beer into the onion mixture, and add the collard greens one handful at a time. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer; cook about 45 minutes.
• Taste and reseason with salt and crushed red pepper. Add the bacon and serve.