At his Philadelphia restaurant Horizons, chef Rich Landau prepares vegan cuisine with modern twists, like this bright yet hearty corn soup with British flair. βItβs a take on a summer corn chowder,β he says, βbut Iβve given it a touch of Great Britain with barley instead of the traditional potato. Thereβs something about beer and barley that have always just worked for me.β
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup Sixpoint Righteous Rye, orany dark ale
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (substitute frozen if necessary)
- 2 cups barley, cooked according to package
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
• In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the beer and let reduce by 1/2.
• Set aside the basil and barley, add the remaining ingredients and simmer 10 minutes.
• Add the pre-cooked barley and simmer 5 minutes more. Add the basil and remove from heat.
• Ladle soup into bowls; for extra richness, finish each serving with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Serve with crusty bread slices.