Chefs David Burt and Katy Coonfield of The Red Avocado in Iowa City collaborated on this mushroom-spinach pasta dish laced with stout sauce. Theyâ€™re partial to Brau Brothersâ€™ chocolate-tinged Cream Stout in the sauce, but any creamy, sweet stout can easily sub in.
Makes: 2 to 4Ingredients:
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced 1⁄8-inch thick
- 1 7-ounce can coconut milk
- 6 ounces Brau Brothers Cream Stout
- 1 ounce tamari soy sauce
- 1 pinch fresh-ground black pepper
- juice from 1⁄2 lemon
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme, de-stemmed and chopped
- 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- 1⁄2 pound linguine
• In a large saucepot over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic in the oil, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and let cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to release oil.
• Add the coconut milk, beer, tamari and black pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil; let simmer until reduced by 1/4. Turn off heat. Add lemon juice, spinach and thyme; cover.
• Add the linguine to a pot of salted, boiling water and cook until al dente.
• When the pasta is cooked but still firm, drain and add it to the sauce, tossing gently to coat. Serve family-style in a bowl with garlic bread.
MAKE IT SEASONAL: In spring, top the pasta with fresh arugula (or swap it in for some of the spinach); in early summer, exchange the thyme for fresh basil. In late summer, add brightness to the dish with roasted red pepper in the sauce.