Warning: Your stomach may start to growl as the garlicky aroma of this bread wafts from your oven. Try it alongside a hearty chili or soup.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup Asiago cheese, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup spent grain
• Preheat an oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
• Whisk together the flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, baking soda and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in the cheese. Mash together the garlic and salt in a medium bowl with the back of a spoon to make a paste. Whisk in the buttermilk, oil and eggs, and stir in spent grains. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; stir until just combined.
• Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes, turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.