This super-moist, spent-grain coffee cake is a sweet treat to serve for brunch.
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans and/or walnuts
- 1 tablespoon lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1½ cups nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup spent grain
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup toasted chopped pecans and/or walnuts
• Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 10-cup Bundt pan with nonstick spray.
• Make the filling: Combine the nuts, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
• Make the cake: Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and allspice in a large bowl. Whisk the eggs, sugar, butter, yogurt and vanilla in a medium bowl. Stir in spent grain. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
• Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with filling, then top with the remaining cake batter, spreading to smooth the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
• Meanwhile, make the glaze: Whisk together the powdered sugar and water until smooth.
• Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake and sprinkle with