In downtown Milwaukee, Miss Katieâ€™s Dinerâ€™s beer-battered chicken strips are a local favorite.
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 12 ounces Blatz
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 drops egg-shade food coloring
- vegetable oil for frying
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup Grey Poupon Dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- Combine beer, eggs, and a dash of salt in a bowl. Stir in flour, adding more if needed. (Batter should have the consistency of a thin cake batter.) Add food coloring and refrigerate batter 1 to 2 hours.
- Prepare honey mustard dipping sauce (see below).
- Heat 1 1/2 to 2 inches of oil in a deep pot or deep-fat fryer to 350 degrees. Remove batter from refrigerator and stir well.
- Coat chicken pieces in batter, then gently set in oil using tongs so strips float. Do not immerse in oil. Fry chicken, turning once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
Honey Mustard Sauce:
- Combine honey and mustard in bowl. Using an electric mixer, mix on low speed until incorporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add mayonnaise and beat on low speed until mixture is of a dipping consistency and turns a light honey color.