Negra Modelo braises this spicy brisket that makes a hearty breakfast (or dinner!) over creamy polenta.
Makes: 6 to 8Ingredients:
- 3-4 pounds brisket, fat left on
- 12 ounces Negra Modelo
- 1⁄3 cup chopped chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Chipotle Spiced Brisket:
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Place the brisket fat-side-up in a baking dish with a tight-fitting lid.
- Mix the chipotle and dry ingredients using a blender or with a wooden spoon. Add beer, and pour the mixture over the brisket.
- Cover dish with lid and bake for 2 hours. Increase heat to 350 degrees, and bake for 3 additional hours. (Check for tenderness after 2 1/2 hours in the 350-degree oven; if needed, cook for the remaining 30 minutes.) When tender, remove meat from the pan and set aside.
- Skim desired amount of fat off the cooking liquid; discard. Place the remaining cooking liquid in a saucepan and boil over medium-high heat, reducing the liquid by half.
- Slice the brisket on a cutting board. Return the sliced meat to the baking pan and drizzle with sauce. Keep warm in a 225-degree oven until serving time.
- Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil in a large, heavy saucepan. Whisk in cornmeal in a slow, steady stream. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir constantly until polenta thickens, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Plate sliced brisket over creamy polenta and serve with coleslaw, if desired.