Mexican chef extraordinaire and beer guy Rick Bayless combines his two great loves in these hearty chipotle-beer meatballs.
Makes: 100 meatballsIngredients:
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1½ cups panko-style breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon Mexican oregano
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 jar Frontera Chipotle Salsa
- 1 bottle Bohemia
- 1 20-ounce can of tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
· Preheat the oven to 400 F. In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, cilantro, mint, salt, oregano and black pepper together until well-incorporated. Form the meat mixture into balls about 1 to 1½ inches in diameter.
· Bake the meatballs on 2 foil-lined baking sheets until brown and fully cooked, about 10-15 minutes.
· Combine the salsa, beer, tomato puree, dark brown sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a slow cooker, and turn on low. Add in all of the cooked meatballs. When the sauce is hot, the meatballs are ready to serve and can be held in the slow cooker on low for 3 to 4 hours. Serve individually with toothpicks, or let guests help themselves with a spoon.