Our cheesy soup features aged English Cheddar and a nutty brown ale; forgo the traditional crouton topping and sprinkle pretzel nuggets in your bowl.
- 12 ounces aged extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 12 ounces Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Melt butter in a heavy stockpot and saute onion over medium-low heat until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; saute 1 minute more.
- Add flour and stir gently for about 3 minutes. Add smoked paprika, dry mustard, and salt. Cook together 1 minute.
- Add ale, stock, and milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Pour soup through a fine sieve into a large bowl, pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon. Return the strained soup to the pot, off the heat. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, and add cheese a handful at a time, stirring gently. If soup is not smooth, pass through the sieve once more.
- Spoon into bowls and top each serving with pretzel nuggets.