Our favorite bread pudding (of course) has beer inside, and blissfully diet-busting jelly donuts as the bready base.
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 ounces cherry ale, kriek or cider
- 12 cherry-filled donuts
- 6 whole English muffins
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
- ½ cup milk
- whipped cream, for serving
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
• In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla, salt, 1 cup brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and beer. Whisk briskly until uniform in texture and well-combined.
• Tear the donuts and English muffins into medium pieces; add them to the egg/beer mixture and mix thoroughly by hand until the bread is fully wet with mixture. Add the melted butter and milk and continue mixing by hand. Let rest in the refrigerator 15 minutes.
• Pour the mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle the top with remaining brown sugar and bake 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the pudding comes out clean. Serve slices warm with a dollop of whipped cream.