Pheasant's hearty taste is well-suited for a beer-infused marinade. Here, James Beard Award-winning chef Joel Antunes turns to Atlanta Brewing's Red Brick Ale for a barbecue-inspired soak before tossing the bird on the grill.
Makes: Serves 4Ingredients:
- 4 pheasant breasts and assorted pheasant bones
- 4 ounces of Atlanta Brewing Company Red Brick Ale
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons apple vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Set breasts, bones and beer aside, and combine remaining ingredients into a marinade. Soak pheasant breasts in the marinade for 3 hours in the refrigerator. Refrigerate remaining marinade for use in sauce.
- Grill pheasant for 12 minutes on medium heat or until thoroughly cooked.
- Meanwhile, begin sauce by sauteing pheasant bones in olive oil for 15 to 20 minutes over medium heat. Deglaze by adding beer and 10 ounces of marinade and reduce by one quarter.
- Serve by spooning sauce over the pheasant.