Our easy beer-and-miso caramel sauce is delicious spooned over vanilla ice cream, roasted pears or bread pudding; jar it up and youâ€™ve got an impressive homemade holiday gift. Choose a beer with sweet toffee and vanilla notes, and a mild but still deeply savory white miso. The latter takes â€śsalted caramelâ€ť to a new level.
Makes: makes 1 cupIngredients:
- 6 ounces Innis & Gunn Original
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons white miso paste
1. In a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the ale to a boil. Simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes, reducing the heat as needed. Add the sugar, swirling the pan to incorporate, and cook without stirring until the foamy mixture turns from blond to a medium honey color, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, pour the cream into a small saucepan and bring to a lively simmer over medium heat. Whisk in the miso until fully combined; set aside.
3. Remove the caramel mixture from the heat, and slowly whisk in the warm miso cream. Return the pan to the heat, and cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Let cool completely, then transfer to a jar and seal. The caramel sauce will keep up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Warm gently, if desired, before serving.