Sweet pears and salty blue cheese mingle with a bitter pale ale reduction in this novel take on scalloped potatoes. Itâ€™s the perfect holiday side, but you can morph it into a weeknight dinner by layering in diced cooked ham. When you dish it up, the gratin may look saucy, but once you spoon it onto your plate, youâ€™ll be happy it is.
- 1 12-ounce bottle pale ale
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon gold or russet potatoes
- 2 medium pears, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8-by-8-inch casserole dish. Using a knife or mandolin, thinly slice the potatoes to about 1/16-inch thick.