Makes: 9 barsIngredients:
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter,
- cut into cubes 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 24 Key limes (or 3 standard limes)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened
- condensed milk 1⁄2 cup summer ale
- WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons summer ale
1. MAKE THE CRUST: In a food processor, add the flour, powdered sugar, butter and salt. Process until well-combined.
2. Press the dough into the bottom of a greased 8-by-8-inch pan (for a 9-by-13-inch pan, double the recipe). Chill 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Bake the crust 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden brown. Let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
4. MAKE THE FILLING: Zest enough limes to gather 11/2 teaspoons zest. Juice the limes to obtain 1/2 cup lime juice.
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the egg yolks, cornstarch and lime zest. Beat on high speed until thick- ened, about 4 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low, slowly add the sweetened condensed milk, beating until well-combined. Add the beer and lime juice, mixing until combined.
6. Pour the lime mixture over the cooled crust. Bake 10 minutes, rotate the pan, then continue to bake until the edges appear dry and slightly cracked, about 5 minutes more. Let cool to room temperature. Chill until set, at least 4 hours
and up to 24.
7. MAKE THE TOPPING: Just before serving, combine the heavy cream and powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. While the mixer is running, slowly add the beer, beating until peaks return.
8. To serve, cut into squares, and top each bar with whipped cream.