Perfect for toting to a summer barbecue, this easy-to-bake cake relies on a one-two punch of raspberries, both fresh and from the bottle. (Look in the seasonal aisle of better bottle shops for summery raspberry fruit beers, like raspberry wheats.) Some lightly sweetened whipped cream on top is a tasty touch.
Makes: 12 servingsIngredients:
- CRUMB TOPPING
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1⁄2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces raspberry beer
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup (1⁄2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-by-13-inch pan.
2. MAKE THE CRUMB TOPPING: Combine the flour, brown sugar, almonds, oats, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Drizzle with the butter and mix until evenly moistened.
3. MAKE THE CAKE: Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the beer, egg, butter and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just moistened.
5. Evenly scatter the raspberries in the bottom of the pan. Pour the batter over the raspberries and sprinkle with the crumb topping.
6. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.