Stouts are a natural choice for chocolate cream pie, but a chocolate stout really amps up the flavor. Milk chocolate chips make the filling more unctuous, but if you prefer dark chocolate, itâ€™s a fine substitute.
Makes: 8 servingsIngredients:
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate stout
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk chocolate chips
- TOPPING &â€ˆASSEMBLY
- 1 prepared 9-inch graham cracker or chocolate cookie crust
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar chocolate shavings or more chocolate chips for garnish
1. MAKE THE FILLING: In a large saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch, brown sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and beer, and bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally, over medium heat. When the mixture begins bubbling, whisk constantly for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in chocolate until melted.
2. Pour the chocolate mixture into crust and chill until cold.
3. ASSEMBLE THE PIE: Beat together whipping cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Spread over the top of the pie and top with chocolate shavings or chips, if desired.
A kriek adds tart fruitiness, like a cherry on top of this decadent dessert.