Create a new meal from leftover turkey and vegetables while energizing a conventional pot pie with a complex saison. You can make the filling and freeze it in a 2-quart baking dish for up to 6 months. After defrosting, top it with pie crust and bake as directed for an easy, comforting weeknight dinner.
Makes: 4 to 6Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour, plus more
- for dusting
- 2 cups chicken (or turkey) broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups saison
- 3 cups assorted leftover cooked vegetables
- (sweet potatoes,green beans, butternut or acorn squash, carrots, peas, spinach, etc.) cut into 1⁄4 inch pieces
- 4 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 egg
- 1 refrigerated boxed pie crust
- (not in the tin pie pans)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper
1. In a large saucepot over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for about 3-4 minutes, until lightly golden and toasty.
2. Slowly but steadily pour in the broth and beer, whisking constantly until completely smooth, making sure to get in the corners of the pot. Raise the heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Re- duce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 17-22 minutes, stirring frequently. Fold in the vegetables, turkey, and thyme and heat through. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
3. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the egg and 2 table- spoons of water until well combined.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one sheet of pie crust until it is large enough to cover a shallow 2-quart baking dish with an extra 1-inch over-hang around the entire perimeter.
6. Transfer the turkey-sauce mixture to a shal- low 2-quart baking dish, brush the outside edges of the dish with the egg mixture, and drape the pie crust over the top. Press and crimp the dough around the edges of the dish so it securely adheres. Brush the crust with the remaining egg mixture and carefully cut four vents toward the center of the pie to allow any steam to escape.
7. Place the pie in the oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes, until the crust is crisp and lightly browned.