Chef Bernie Kantak's wagyu beef cheeks combine the meat's rich flavor with an espresso-chile rub and stout-infused mole; serve it over creamy polenta for a rib-sticking meal.
- Espresso Rub:
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 2 teapsoons Saigon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon espresso
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Beef Cheeks and Mole:
- 2 wagyu beef cheeks, cleaned and portioned into 4-ounce pieces
- 2 cups veal stock
- 1⁄2 cup Beer Valley Black Flag Imperial Stout
- 2 cups roasted Roma tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup raw pistachios
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 Cascabel chiles, crushed with seeds
- 1 Oaxacan chile, stemmed, seeded and julienned
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄8 cup espresso rub
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- Masa Polenta:
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 cup instant polenta
- 1⁄8 cup masa harina
- 1⁄8 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Onion with Cilantro and Grapefruit:
- 1⁄2 white onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, cut in long strips
- 1 grapefruit, sectioned and juiced
• Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl. Reserve 1⁄8 cup for the mole and use the remainder to season the beef.
Beef cheeks and mole:
• Season wagyu cheeks with salt and espresso rub and set aside overnight.
• On a hot grill, slightly char the beef.
• Meanwhile, combine the rice bran oil, onion and garlic in a stockpot and sauté. Add the pistachios, chilies and espresso rub until the chilies and rub are well-toasted. Bring to a boil, add tomatoes and charred beef and simmer for 4 hours, covered, adding veal stock as needed.
• Remove the beef when tender and puree the remaining ingredients. Season and return the meat to the stockpot.
• In a saucepan, combine the chicken stock and cream and bring to a boil.
• Whisk in polenta and masa harina and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add remaining ingredients and season to taste.
• Combine onion, grapefruit and cilantro and season to taste.
• Serve tender beef cheeks over masa polenta with onion, grapefruit and cilantro topped with avocado.