In a nod to the Irish who can enjoy a Guinness any time of the day, chef Sam DeMarco created a brisket hash packed with flavor. He calls it ‚Äúa hearty-style breakfast‚ÄĚ that‚Äôs even heartier alongside poached eggs with hollandaise.
Makes: 4 to 6Ingredients:
- 1-2 pounds beef brisket
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 Yukon gold potato, pan fried and diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1‚ĀĄ2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 12 ounces Guinness
- 1 cup veal stock
- canola oil (for saut√©ing)
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: poached egg with
- hollandaise sauce
• Preheat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit. Pat brisket dry and season with salt and pepper.
• In a large braising pan, brown brisket and transfer to a platter. Add onions, peppers, carrots and celery and cook about 8 minutes or until softened.
• Add garlic and tomato paste, cook 1 minute and add Guinness.
• Bring mixture to a boil and marinate overnight.
• Add stock, then braise the brisket. Cover and cook in a 275-degree oven for 3 hours. Let cool, then dice brisket.
• In a sauté pan, add canola oil and cooked potatoes and sauté until brown.
• Add onions and peppers and cook for 1 minute.
• Add diced brisket, braising liquid and cook until heated through.
• Season with paprika and parsley and serve.