As executive pastry chef New York City‚Äôs famed Le Bernardin and a 2007 winner of the James Beard Foundation‚Äôs Outstanding Pastry Chef award, Chef Michael Laiskonis has a knack for unforgettable desserts, like this banana strudel. ‚ÄúThe procedure for the strudel is a bit unorthodox,‚ÄĚ he says. ‚ÄúWe saut√© it in a pan as opposed to baking it in the oven, so it‚Äôs much crispier.‚ÄĚ Topped with ice cream made with Bell‚Äôs Winter White Ale, this treat is heaven.
- Crispy Banana Strudel:
- 3 bananas, slightly under-ripened, peeled and diced
- 1‚ĀĄ4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1‚ĀĄ2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1‚ĀĄ4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 sheets feuille de brick dough
- confectioner‚Äôs sugar
- Spiced Citrus Broth:
- 1‚ĀĄ2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, strained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 clove
- 1 anise star
- 1 cinnamon stick
- White Ale Ice Cream:
- 12 ounces Bell‚Äôs Winter White Ale
- 2 1‚ĀĄ2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1‚ĀĄ2 cups whole milk
- 1 1‚ĀĄ2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk powder
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 orange, zested
• In a small bowl, combine banana, sugar and lemon juice.
• Place one sheet of the feuille de brick dough on a clean surface and brush with melted butter. Arrange 1/4 of the banana filling in a line along the bottom 2/3 of the dough sheet.
• Roll the dough, applying light pressure. Fold in the ends to create a strudel about 8 inches long, which can be refrigerated in plastic film for up to two hours or until ready to fry.
• Warm a large sauté pan over medium heat and add the remaining butter.
• Add strudels to the pan and gently fry about 1 minute per side or until golden, reducing heat if necessary to prevent burning.
• Blot the fried strudels with a paper towel and let cool.
• Cut off the strudels’ ends and slice into three 2-inch portions.
Spiced Citrus Broth:
• Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and gently warm over low heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
• Remove from heat and cover, allowing the juice to infuse for 15 minutes.
• Strain through a fine mesh sieve and chill.
White Ale Ice Cream:
• In a medium saucepan, combine white ale, cream and milk and bring to a boil over medium heat.
• Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly.
• Remove the ale mixture from heat and slowly temper into the bowl.
• Transfer the combination back to the saucepan and cook on low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture slightly thickens but doesn’t boil.
• Strain through a fine mesh sieve, chill and let cool.
• Place the mixture in an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to complete.
• Dust the strudels with confectioner’s sugar, divide the citrus broth among the plates and top each with a scoop of white ale ice cream.