Wisconsin native and owner of Seattleâ€™s Maeâ€™s Phinney Ridge CafĂ© Jeanne Mae Barwick favors her recipe for Wisconsin Bratwurst and Eggsâ€”with a healthy portion of Guinnessâ€” to kick-start an early day.
- 6 large Idaho bakers-style potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 dozen high-quality bratwurst
- 1 dozen fresh grade-AA large eggs
- 6 cans Guinness Stout
- vegetable oil (for frying)
• Gently boil bratwurst in beer for 20 minutes.
• While the sausages boil, prepare hashbrowns by peeling and grating potatoes, working quickly so the brats don’t overcook.
• Place hash browns and vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat, turning once for uniform crispness.
• Once cooked to preference, hold hashbrowns in a sheet pan in the oven on low heat.
• Remove boiled bratwursts from beer, keeping beer warm on the back of the stove.
• Place bratwursts in a skillet drizzled with vegetable oil and fry on medium heat for 10 minutes. Transfer bratwurst back to the warm beer.
• Fry eggs in a nonstick pan, four at a time, 2 minutes on one side, 1 minute on the other.
• Place two eggs, two bratwurst and a portion of hashbrowns on each plate and serve.