Recipe by Laraine Perri
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms or other wild mushrooms, stems discarded and caps cut in 1⁄4-inch slices
- 11⁄4 cups Arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Magic Hat Circus Boy hefeweizen
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, snipped in 1-inch lengths, plus additional
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
• Bring the chicken broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan; keep warm over low heat.
• Melt 1 tablespoon each of the butter and olive oil in a large, heavy sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of the garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in the rice; sauté 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Add the hefeweizen, stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until absorbed. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring every few minutes until absorbed (about 20 minutes total).
• While the risotto cooks, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter with the remaining olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, and sauté until tender and golden, about 8 minutes. Add the remaining garlic and 1 teaspoon of thyme; sauté 1 minute. Season generously with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper; set pan aside.
• When the risotto is done (it should be just tender to the bite), gently stir in the mushrooms and Parmesan. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter, the remaining thyme and the chives, and spoon into serving bowls. Top each serving with additional Parmesan and another sprinkle of fresh chives.