Recipe by Nick Millione
- 5-6 medium-large Spanish onions, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 16 ounces O’Reilly’s Stout
- 6 ounces salted butter
- 4 ounces Minor’s beef base
- 10 slices Swiss cheese
- 20 slices Provolone cheese
- 1 loaf brioche bread
• Place chopped onions, granulated sugar and butter into a large stockpot and sweat the onions over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the beef base with a 1/2 gallon of hot water to create a concentrated beef stock. Add the beef stock and stout to the stockpot and simmer 5 minutes.
• Remove the mixture from heat and pour into a large storage container. Add more water to bring mixture to roughly 2 gallons of soup. Stir soup with an ice paddle until warm and refrigerate.
• When ready to serve, place 2 to 3 croutons of sweet brioche bread in a 6-ounce ramekin and fill with soup. Top with 1 slice of Swiss cheese and 2 slices of provolone cheese and place under a broiler for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is blistered and golden brown. Garnish with sliced green onions and serve.