Recipe by Gianni Scappin
- 4 ounces Peroni
- 7/8 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 30 large, fresh sage leaves
- 1 egg white
- olive oil, for frying
• In a large bowl, whisk together beer and flour. Add the oil and a pinch of salt to taste. Let the batter rest about 30 minutes.
• Heat 1 inch of oil in a large pan over high heat until simmering. Gently wash the sage leaves and pat dry.
• After the batter has rested, whip the egg white with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg white into the batter until incorporated.
• Dip each sage leaf into the batter, shaking off any excess batter; leaves should be lightly coated. Fry the leaves in the oil, turning once, until crispy and golden on both sides. Finish with a sprinkle of salt and serve immediately.