Recipe by Gabriel Gil
- 3 pounds parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 12 dates, pitted
- 1 Granny Smith apple, quartered
- 5 bananas, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1 pint Radeberger Pilsner
- 1 gallon chicken stock or water
- 1 pint of heavy cream
- salt and sherry vinegar
• In a large pot over low heat, sweat the parsnips, onion and garlic in the canola
oil for about 1 hour, or until the parsnips begin to soften.
• Add the dates, apple, bananas, sherry and beer. Increase the heat to medium and cook until liquid reduces by 1/2. Add the chicken stock or water and let reduce by 1/4 the volume. Add the cream and cook 5 minutes more, or until thickened.
• Using a blender, purée the soup in batches, and pass through a fine mesh sieve. Season with salt and sherry vinegar and garnish with pilsner beer gel.