Recipe by Rick Bayless
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds beef skirt steak, trimmed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Frontera Chipotle Salsa, Frontera Roasted Tomato Salsa or salsa of your choice
- 1/2 cup Bohemia beer
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 medium white onions, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- vegetable oil
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- 12 fresh, warm tortillas
1. Cut steak into 4- or 5-inch portions. Mix 1/2 cup of the salsa, the beer, garlic, lime juice, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large zippered bag. Add the steak, close the bag tightly and turn gently to coat the steak. Refrigerate 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
2. Heat a gas grill to medium-high or light a charcoal fire. Brush or spray the onion slices with vegetable oil. Grill onions over a cooler section of the grill, turning carefully until softened and browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish.
3. Remove the steak from the marinade, and discard the remaining liquid. Oil the steak well on both sides, and lay it over the hottest part of the grill. Grill, turning once, until richly browned and done to your liking, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side for medium-rare.
4. Cut the skirt steak across the grain into thin strips. Mix with the onions; season with salt to taste. Serve the steak and onions with the remaining salsa, cilantro, lime wedges and hot tortillas, and let guests build their own tacos.