Recipe by Laraine Perri
- 2 pounds medium red potatoes
- 3 slices hardwood-smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2/3 cup Paulaner Original Munich
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
• Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, and cover with 1 inch of cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Salt the water generously, reduce the heat to medium and cook 20 to 30 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain and let cool 30 minutes.
• While the potatoes cook, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer the bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Add the onions to the bacon fat and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the beer, vinegar and sugar, raise the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Cook until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the mustard, then the oil. Season with the salt and pepper.
• Peel the cooled potatoes, slice into ¼-inch-thick rounds and place in a large serving bowl. Pour in the hot dressing, and gently toss to combine. Let sit at least 30 minutes to allow the potatoes to absorb some of the dressing. Crumble the bacon and add to the potatoes with the scallions, parsley and chives. Stir gently. Season with additional salt, pepper, or sugar to taste. Serve at room temperature, or make ahead, refrigerate and warm slightly before serving.