Recipe by Ian Winslade
- 1 2-pound beef brisket, trimmed, salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 gallon chicken stock
- 24 ounces Guinness stout
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 ½-quart can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 ounce thyme
- 1 bay leaf
• Preheat an oven to 325 degrees. Season the brisket with salt and pepper.
• In a large Dutch oven on high heat, sear the brisket until browned on all sides.
• Add the remaining ingredients to the brisket and stir, scraping up the browned bits on the
bottom of the Dutch oven. Cover and roast 5
to 6 hours, or until the brisket is fork-tender.
• Let the brisket cool slightly in the braising liquid. Remove the meat to a serving platter, cover, and pour the braising liquid into a saucepot over medium heat. Let the liquid reduce by half, about 10 minutes. Serve the brisket with the pan sauce and horseradish sauce (see above).