Recipe by Gaston Alfaro
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups Mavericks Sandy Beach Blonde Hefeweizen
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup pumpkin syrup (such as Torani)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ pound calamari, rings and tentacles coarsely chopped
- ¼ pound bay scallops
- ¼ pound baby prawns
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 pound red and green cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup julienned red onion
- 8 cups shredded hearts of Romaine lettuce tomato and cucumber slices for garnish
• Combine the water, hefeweizen, vinegar, syrup, red pepper, garlic, oregano, salt and
pepper in a large pot over medium-high heat;
let simmer 15 minutes.
• Add each seafood to the pot separately to lightly poach: Add the calamari first; let poach
3 minutes, then remove from the pot and let cool. Poach the prawns 6 minutes; remove and let cool. Poach the scallops 3 minutes; remove and let cool.
• Bring the poaching liquid to a boil, then remove the pot from heat. Add the carrots,
cabbage and onions and let sit 10 minutes; strain from the liquid and let cool. Combine
the seafood and the vegetable mixture together in a large bowl, keeping the mixture moist with
a spoonful of the poaching liquid.
• Toss the lettuce with Honey-Lime Vinaigrette. Add the seafood mixture and lightly drizzle with more vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with tomato and cucumber slices.