Recipe by Carolyn Malcoun
Serves: 3 cups
- 1 tablespoon butter or canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup chopped roasted chiles
- 1/2 cup Mexican-style lager
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 11/2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt to taste
• Melt the butter (or heat oil) in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chilies and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the beer. Increase heat to high, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and cook until the liquid has mostly evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
• Reduce the heat to medium and whisk in the
milk. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, until sauce is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
• Reduce the heat to low and gradually add the cheese, stirring constantly, until completely
melted. Stir in the tomatoes, cilantro and salt to
taste, and serve.