Recipe by Carolyn Malcoun
- 1 cup berry lambic or other fruit beer
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 2 pears, peeled and diced
- 1 12-ounce package cranberries
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup buttermilk
• PREPARE THE FRUIT: In a Dutch oven or large high-sided skillet, whisk together the lambic, sugar and cornstarch. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat, and stir in the apples, pears and cranberries. Simmer 5 minutes and remove from heat.
• MAKE THE DUMPLINGS: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in the buttermilk with a fork until the dough just comes together.
• Coat two soup spoons with cooking spray, and use them to drop the dumpling mixture into 8 dumplings on top of the fruit mixture (7 dumplings around the pot’s edges, and one in the center). Bring the pot to a simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the dumplings are puffy and cooked through, about 10 minutes more. Let cool 20 minutes before serving.