Recipe by Snyder's of Hanover
Serves: makes 24 cupcakes
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cup Snyder’s of Hanover Sticks or Minis, crushed
- 2 cups stout
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- 3 egg yolks from large eggs (or 2 from extra-large or jumbo eggs)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup brown ale
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
· MAKE THE CRUST: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two cupcake tins with paper liners. In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients; press the mixture into the liners. Bake 10 minutes. Let cool.
· MAKE THE CAKE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring the beer and butter to a simmer. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until the mixture is smooth; cool slightly.
· In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Using a mixer, beat the eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend. Add the stout-chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and beat just to combine. Fold the flour mixture into the batter until completely combined. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted into center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool completely.
· MAKE THE CUSTARD: In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks. In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the cream, brown ale, brown sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, and salt until well combined; cook the cream mixture whisking frequently until it’s hot and just beginning to steam; very slowly and in a thin stream, pour the hot cream mixture into the egg yolk, whisking constantly.
· Return the mixture to heat and cook 1 to 2 minutes, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and resembles cooking pudding; do not boil.
· Pour the custard into a small bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon unsalted butter.
· Cover with plastic wrap and immediately place in refrigerator until completely cooled (4 hours).
· ASSEMBLE THE CUPCAKES: Pipe custard filling into the middle of each cupcake. Top with your favorite frosting, and press one or two Snyder’s of Hanover mini pretzels into the tops.