Recipe by Carolyn Malcoun
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 8 cups chopped greens
- 2/3 cup wheat beer
- 4 large eggs
- 4 ounces sliced sharp Cheddar cheese
- 8 pieces whole-grain bread
• In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon in two batches until crispy, turning occasionally. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
• Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon grease from pan. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and stir for 30 seconds. Add the greens and beer, bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until beer is evaporated and the greens are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
• Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Break eggs into skillet and cook over medium heat to desired doneness.
• Preheat a panini press or heat a skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Break the bacon slices in half. Arrange 4 pieces of bacon on 4 pieces of bread. (If using a skillet instead of a panini press, lightly butter the bread prior to assembly.) Top with the greens, an egg and some cheese. Top with remaining bread slices. Cook in the panini press until golden.