Recipe by Carolyn Malcoun
- RHUBARB JAM
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1/3 cup fruit beer
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 13/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup fruit beer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin tins or line with muffin liners.
• MAKE THE JAM: In a small saucepan over high heat, bring the rhubarb, beer and brown sugar to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
• MAKE THE TOPPING: Mix the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter and salt in a small bowl.
• MAKE THE MUFFINS: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, butter, vanilla and beer. Add the wet
ingredients to the dry ingredients; stir to combine. Gently add the rhubarb mixture and barely stir, leaving a rhubarb swirl in the muffin batter.
• Fill the muffin tins with the batter, and evenly sprinkle the tops of each muffin with the streusel. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.