Recipe by Carolyn Malcoun
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed small
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rauchbier
- 1 cup low-fat milk
• Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
• Whisk together the flour, chives, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and paprika in a large bowl. Add butter and rub in with your fingers until the size of peas. Add the buttermilk and blend with a fork until the flour is moistened. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead a few times to combine. Pat out into a 1-inch-thick rectangle and cut into 8 biscuits.
• Place the biscuits on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
• MAKE THE SAUSAGE GRAVY: Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until browned, about 6 minutes. Drain all but 1/4 cup of fat. Sprinkle the sausage with the flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the beer and milk and cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve over the biscuits, about 3/4 cup of gravy for 2 biscuits.