Recipe by Nick Evans
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 pound extra large shrimp (about 18 shrimp), peeled, deveined, tails on.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 3/4 cup IPA
- 2 quarts canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- soy sauce, for serving
- fresh chives, minced, for garnish
• In a large, sturdy pot over medium-high heat, heat
the oil to 350 degrees F. Use a candy thermometer
to maintain the temperature.
• In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, cayenne and garlic powder. Add beer and stir well;
the batter should resemble a light pancake batter.
• Working in 2 to 3 batches, dunk the shrimp one at
a time into the batter and let any excess batter run off. Carefully lower the shrimp into the oil and fry until
golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
• Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp to a plate
lined with paper towels and let drain 1 minute.
• Garnish with the chives and serve immediately
with soy sauce.