Recipe by Carolyn Malcoun
Serves: Makes 20 sliders
- 24 ounces stout
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus additional
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 pounds chuck roast, trimmed
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 20 slider buns, halved
- 20 squares sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Add the stout and garlic to a 6-quart slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the basil, salt, oregano, thyme and pepper. Rub the roast with the herbs, then place in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
2. Meanwhile, combine the onion, vinegar and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator.
3. Combine the sour cream, horseradish and salt to taste in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
4. When the beef is done, transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Shred and stir some of the cooking liquid back into the beef to moisten it.
5. Drain the onions.
6. Assemble the sliders with the shredded beef, a square of cheese, a dollop of the horseradish cream and a few onion slices.